Hurricane Ida Storm Damage Response
Confidential Aviation Client • Port Authority of New York and New Jersey (PANYNJ) International Airport
Confidential Aviation Client
- Hurricane Ida caused significant storm damage to an international airport’s terminal and ramp operations.
- Developed an efficient and effective sampling approach in compliance with Asbestos Hazard Emergency Response Act (AHERA), PANYNJ, and other local and state requirements
- Created a method for labeling and documenting the positive materials our team identified
- Established quantitative and qualitative procedures to confirm the efficacy of cleaning, sanitizing and restoring building materials while minimizing our impact on operations
- Apex’s comprehensive survey and remediation plan provided safety practices and protocols to guide our client’s contractors, employees and customers while conducting their business in an active work site; this key deliverable enabled our client to swiftly proceed with cleanup and restoration of the storm’s impacts.
In the aftermath of Hurricane Ida, the client hired Apex to determine the extent of class 3 water damages to their international airport’s terminal and ramp operations involving employee- and customer-facing operations and storage as well as to identify high-moisture areas, including mold and asbestos containing materials (ACM) impacts to building materials.
Apex assembled a multi-disciplinary team of professionals with the appropriate credentials—including EPA AHERA-, New York State Department of Labor (NYSDOL)-, and New York City Department of Environmental Protection-certified asbestos inspectors, as well as NYSDOL-certified mold assessors and support staff—to perform and oversee work at the airport.
Our services included:
- Moisture mapping of stormwater-impacted building materials within the terminal
- Identifying and quantifying impacted building materials
- Performing indoor air quality assessments
- Conducting asbestos bulk sampling, microbial surface tape lift sampling, microbial air sampling, and sewage swab screening sampling of stormwater-impacted building materials
- Preparing timely summary and final reports detailing the extent of damaged materials
- Developing asbestos abatement and mold remediation documents
- Monitoring of asbestos abatement and mold remediation projects
- Performing clearance inspections and air testing of asbestos abatement and mold remediation projects
- Preparing closeout reports
Through effective communications with the client and scheduling of our team’s and abatement contractors’ work, Apex identified and provided oversight of asbestos abatement and mold remediation at the terminal with minimal disruption to the active airport’s ongoing operations.